Wednesday, September 2, 2009

We got the best present ever today - we didn't have to stay the whole time at orientation! Instead of a 13 hour day (followed by tomorrow which we have to be on the floor at 6:45 am... ugh), we got a normal (for us) one. Our floor has mandatory quiet hours, so the grand plan of splitting into our groups and doing orientation and then going to the floor totally failed. They also said they were being nice to us since we all had to go home and either finish or polish our 15 med cards due tomorrow. I thought I was done with those bad boys last night, but then it got sprung on us this morning that we had to have all possible doses/routes/reasons why our patient would have that drug. Excessive, but it's supposed to make us better at tests/NCLEX/life. We probably won't pass meds this rotation since the moms can give themselves their own medicine, but it's always a possibility.

Tomorrow I'll be in labor and delivery if our schedule stays the same. I'm super excited because I 1) have never seen a live birth (section or vaginal) and 2) I get to look like a big nurse and wear blue scrubs! (!!!!!!!!!!!) The later is probably the more exciting thing for me. So I have to put on my uniform (again) only to have to change once I get to the floor. I'm nervous but pumped for this rotation. I haven't held a baby, much less a VERY newborn, in a long time! At least a couple years I think. Doing my first assessment of a baby will probably be scary, but swaddling I think I'll have down since I tend to wrap myself up like that even now. Maybe I'm a baby in disguise? Something to think about. My clinical instructor is amazing and our "partner" rotation group that comes on after us has a great instructor too. He revealed another secret about Wegmans today - apparently you can print out a shopping list that includes aisle numbers from their website. I might have to use that if I ever venture back to the warehouse Wegmans in Pittsford.

Time to read up on the stages of labor so I can be prepared for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment