Monday, September 7, 2009

So Thursday I got to see a c-section, clean up an itty bitty newborn, give them a shot of vitamin K and dress and swaddle them all before they were an hour old :) I like OB so far. All of the nurses are nice, even though the floor can be pretty hectic. The day before, when we were at orientation, there were 17 births. For the next two weeks, I'll be on the postpartum side with the moms that have given birth within the last few days. There I'll get my own patient, hopefully for both days we're on the floor, and learn how to do a newborn and postpartum mom assessment. I did get to use a teeny weeny stethoscope, probably the size of a dime, on Thursday to listen to the baby's heart rate. It's hard to count! Hopefully during my two weeks I'll also learn how to give a baby a bath and become a diaper changing pro. Either way, babies make me happy even if they're screaming at the top of their lungs. If they're screaming, they're usually healthy! :)

I had two good days of 3 milers and I bump up to 4 on Wednesday. I 'officially' registered for the Nike+ Human 10k so now I feel like I have to do it. Luckily, I'm scheduled to do a 6 miler the day before the race, so I'll just switch my runs and do about a quarter mile extra on 10.24. I'm kind of attached to my daily(ish) run now. They'll be getting longer, but I think as long as I'm planning for it, I'll be fine. Eventually I might have to move indoors because my timing after clinical. Now it's not so bad, but if I get out late it could be horrendous. Plus, who wants to get up at 4 am to do a run in pitch darkness? Not I. I'll also have to see how long I last when it gets cold out. My running shoes are great, but they're mesh all along the top and sides. They breathe a lot better than my previous shoes, but at the same time I get soaked if it's raining. My plan is to do the 10k outside and then maybe move inside to the hospital gym when it gets really nasty. I can't believe I am already talking about running 6.2 miles, but I feel like I can do it! I'm not sure what my next step after that will be, especially since I just kind of am glossing over the 5k race, but I think a half marathon in the spring isn't totally out of the question. It could be my "victory lap". Oh, I'm so funny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment