Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I liked my first day on mother/baby a lot. I got to see 2 discharges and then a mom who had just given birth in the morning get transferred onto our unit. I was really REALLY nervous about doing my mom assessment, so nervous I pretty much forgot what I was doing, but my clinical instructor saved the day. Now that I've seen it done twice, I'm really confident I can do it tomorrow. I've been reviewing what I have to do in my head over and over all day, and now that I saw my instructor do the assessment I know what she's looking for. The plan is that I have the same patient tomorrow as I did at the end of today (she was so sweet) so I think that will also facilitate my assessment experience. Now if my clinical instructor didn't make me so nervous...

I also saw a circumcision today. Let's just say I'm not jumping onto the midwife bandwagon just yet after seeing that procedure. Apparently, babies can sleep right through it. Not mine. This kid wasn't even quiet after we gave him sugar water, but for good reason! Sure it's numb, but you're all exposed. It must be a least a little uncomfortable! Poor little baby :( Maybe it will get easier to watch the more I see them, but this whole procedure freaked me out a little bit, even though there's not a lot of blood at all. Being totally honest, I was MUCH more enamored by the c-section, with blood/uterus/stitches/staples and all, than this procedure. Not my Achilles heel by any means (I'm still searching for that), but just not something I would want to perform every day that I'm on the floor.

So during my FOUR MILE RUN (!) today, I thought over and over about my assessment. At some points, I even forgot I was running since I was so freaked out about feeling a uterus again. But it was a good run. I was a little annoyed at first because my little voice only told me how far I had gone every mile and not every half like I was used to, but then I began to pretend to embrace it. Hopefully I'm not super sore tomorrow since I have to run 3. Woohoo!

Being a 7-7 baby, I think it's fantastic I got to meet a little baby that will grow up being a 9-9-09. I think those with triple numbers in their birthdays have a special kinship since someone always makes a comment about your date of birth. Mine, usually, is, "You must be so lucky!" Yes, I suppose I am, but I'd like to attribute at least part of my "luck" to my parents and to my own brain, thank you very much. Geeze. It's like people think you're born a smarty pants or something these days... :P

No comments:

Post a Comment