Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hm...

So, after I unconvinced myself after convincing myself I had a subinguinal (sp?) hernia, I did my run. Instead of running the full four, I did 3.5, which isn't bad, and I didn't feel horrific either. The ice pack is in the freezer and will probably be ready to do it's job when I'm done writing. I mailed out my entry form for the race on Oct 17. At this moment in time, I could actually care less if anyone does it with me or comes to watch. This is pretty much just for me (oh, I know - selfish much? Whatever. "Running" is an individual "sport". Aside - I'm not sure if running is actually a sport. Right now it's above cheerleading, but still living in the gray area. I am a traditional "sport-ist" that there have to be points to be scored in a game. Granted, that makes curling and shuffle board sports...)


This week I'm in mother baby both days and the plan is to get my assessment down. I've been using my visualization technique (hokey, but kind of effective) now especially since we don't have that many opportunities to practice. I'm getting more comfortable with it, but I am by no means an expert. I don't expect to become one during the rest of my time on the floor, but I think I've experienced a lot of valuable things. Last week I got to teach my mom about SIDS, something that is imperative to know about. It was really neat for me since I had never felt like I had actually taught my patients anything, although some little something must've stuck for someone. This, though, was an opportunity that jumped out and screamed TEACH HER! So I did. :) Obviously in this situation, like most others, the patient will do what they want when they go home, but it seemed like she understood what I was talking about.

We heard some sad stories about still births that happened over the weekend. I really hope that I don't have to see that before I leave since I am really not a super great dealer with death. I would probably want to hug my patient instead of talking it through like we've been learning about. We read a blog written by a mom who had a still born baby and it was totally heart breaking. :( It makes you realize that there are a lot of risks with pregnancy being in this class, and after feeling the cervical dilation models today, I'm not sure if I reeeeally want to give birth. Maybe I just need time to forget all of this scary stuff. Anyway, I won't be taking happy healthy babies for granted anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment