Thursday, October 8, 2009

Woohoo!

So on my last day of OB I pretty much did everything possible there is to do on that service and then left for home. I saw another vaginal birth, put in a foley and saw another c section. It was pretttty neat. I liked lactation a lot and used some of the stuff I learned from them with the new moms that were trying to breastfeed. I felt helpful!

I had my first full day in peds today. It was really nerve wracking at the beginning since I wasn't sure what I would see. I had a fabulous little girl, though, with Down syndrome that had just had open heart surgery a week ago. It was great to go with her and her mom to see her echo and then have her be able to go home without any tubes! She was a total sweetie :) We had met a cute little guy the day before during our short orientation on the unit who was 8 and on continuous seizure monitoring so he was alert and chatty. He totally made my day! We played with him, gave him stickers and he showed us all his gift cards he had collected. This kid made me LOVE peds. I think my favorite age will be school age since they're chatty and want to show you everything that they can do. It was probably a good experience for him too because most of us had finished up with our own patients and had time to play with him in the afternoon. Given the chance, I'm sure he would've had us stay all day to play!

Alumni weekend starts tomorrow so I'm going to try to go to the lecture they're having on global health, and I've also volunteered to go to a dinner at the Roc science center Saturday night. It gives me a chance to dress up, have snacks and maybe make some connections. I am still freaked out since I have no idea where I want to work and what floor I want to be on (but peds seems pretty good) so maybe they could give me a couple pointers. We will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment