Wednesday, June 3, 2009

When Kevin said I hadn't updated in awhile, he was right! I had pharmacology and nursing assessment exams on Monday as well as an online genetics exam that opened up. After completing all three, I am exhausted. Unfortunately, I have another pharmacology exam Friday and a nursing assessment exam on Monday. At this point, I just would like to remember everything they're telling us! It all seems useful, but it's just a lot to remember. Nursing assessment is pretty straight forward - they want you to tell them what response to a physiological test is normal or abnormal and what you would expect to see in a patient certain symptoms. In lab this week we are doing musculoskeletal and cardio exams. I figured out how to count down intercostal spaces on myself, (kind of) but I hope it's easier on someone else especially after we put all the anatomical landmarks on in washable marker. Pharmacology is more difficult since we don't have a time to "practice" what we learned in lecture like we do in assessment lab. It's nice that we don't have to memorize 12478904 drug names, but all the side effects are overlapping for me at this point.

Audrea and I watched some Grey's Anatomy on Sunday night before our tests to relax and see what we could find that they do wrong. It was kind of fun! We knew a little bit more about the patient care aspect (obviously not a lot since we've been here almost 3 weeks), but we had a good time :)

I finally went to the medical library(!) for a tour and it's really nice right now since it's not very busy. I'm sure when people come back in the fall it will be a zoo, but the "lobby" outside of the library has skylights and comfortable chairs to study in. There's a reading room that used to be the old hospital lobby, but the ceilings are so high that I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable studying in there (I'm more of a study nook person). Anyway, the reference librarian that works with the School of Nursing was really sweet and asked us about ourselves (there were 3 of us on the tour when I went, haha) and explained everything about the library to us fairly quickly. The librarians can even do a search on a topic for you and email you the results, which I thought was a nice tool for when I have to do a research paper. The only thing is that you have to pay for interlibrary loan documents. I hope that they have a LOT more resources than Pepperdine did because I used ILL all the time.

Team Sansillo is enthusiastically doing the NikeFit app for iTouch (and I guess iTunes?). Some of the exercises they want you to do are a little ridiculous, and since I can't access the internet in the gym I have to remember to watch them before I go into the hopsital. It has a schedule of when you work out and a timer for each exercise. You get points for whichever ones you complete (or tell them you did). If I have no idea what I'm supposed to do, I'll do another one that I know that's not on the list for that day instead. The only weird thing about this app is that if only gives you 10 exercises that are usually 2 minutes each. I thought by setting it on intense cardio it would give me mileage or an amount of time to bike/run/elipticize, but it doesn't. Hmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment