Saturday, May 23, 2009

I can't find my brachial artery.... Am I dead?

We got our stethoscopes and iTouches this week, so we have all been playing around with our new toys. In lab we learned how to take blood pressure, heart rate, and temperature as well as do a patient assessment. The hardest part so far has been finding brachial arteries and learning the adjectives used to describe a patient's appearance. "Normal" means nothing (unless you're talking about head shape), so "symmetrical," "adequate nutrition," and "skin appears to be age stated" are now floating around in my head while I wander through Target, Best Buy or the gym. In class I'll make sure I can still find my own brachial artery when we get a break. You get over feeling weird about touching people pretty quickly since you're feeling their arm for 10 minutes trying to find their pulse or cutting off the blood supply to their hand since the gague on the little pump up ball is stuck on their blood pressure cuff. Isn't it great we get this all out of the way on each other and not on our patients?


Everyone that we (we being my house) are friends with are really fun. One of my friends was at the men's NCAA lax championship this weekend in Boston (bummer) but the girls that live down the street came out with us. I forgot what it was like to have fun with your roomies! Audrea took pictures to document our ridiculousness, but I don't think they do us justice. The club was actually pretty big with a huge deck- who knew Rochester had a night life? Unfortunately, going out Friday night ruined a lot of our Saturday since all we wanted to do was sleep. Nic and I went to go get printers and covers for our iTouches so at least we were out in the world a little bit. Audrea, Anna and I watched a movie from Ghana, which was funny but didn't have an ending, and then Step Up so Anna could see just how cute Channing Tatum really is. While Nic went to the gym, Aundrea, Anna and I went for a walk around our neighboorhood and found a little strip mall that has Chinese, Thai, pizza and BBQ places in it. Obviously, we went home, got wallets and got dinner at the BBQ and Chinese places. Delightful.

I think I have figured out Skype. I've video chatted with Cassandra and typed to Seedling, but now I have made a call to Stuart! I was proud of myself. Instead of reading or working on taking blood pressures, I talked to Stuart and had way too much delicious food. I think it's a solid way to spend a Saturday night.

I suppose I should go try to read about pharmacology or something. Maybe I'll just listen to my heart with my stethoscope instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment