Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Back to school, back to school

Orientation wasn't too bad this morning, except that they split up me and my roommates! It's like they knew we were living together - bummer. We each met some other students who seemed pretty cool, so it wasn't a total loss. We also had our first class - pathophysiology/pharmacology. For me, it was basically a review of the last two weeks of psychopharm with Dr. Folkerts plus some nursing stuff (like what to ask a patient during an interview and how to ask it). In class we also got to look at a case study and found out that we have to pass a test sometime next month in order to distribute medications when we do clinicals. Yikes? The professor said that it's usually the math section that gets people in trouble. Math? What? Good thing I brought my calculator. The practice problem and post test assignments are due sometime next week and looking at the post test it seems like the factor-label method. Who knows - I have yet to read chapter 5.

Be ready to be impressed - for the first time in my academic career, I have read all of the assigned reading for a class ahead of time. I haven't watched the videos, and still need to catch up on pathophys/pharm reading, but I am totally ready for nursing assessment tomorrow. I think. That's the only class we have tomorrow since iTouches, stethoscopes, uniforms and pictures are all scheduled to be received, fitted and taken. When my "blurb" and picture goes on the website, I will post it :) Hopefully I will look happier than I do in my ID picture and have less of a brontosaurus neck. Good thing I like dinosaurs.

Everyone talks about how awesome Rochester is in the summer and how much stuff there is to do - I'm not totally sold that I'll get to do any of it, but our plan is to try to get to as many street fairs as possible. If I can, I would love to at least have Friday night off from reading, even if the texts aren't as dry as they could be. We will just have to see how it goes.

Another 8 am-4 pm day awaits so I am off to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment